Thursday 22 July 2010

Kystricksveien

I woke up today to the sound of Rain falling on my Tent. I checked the weather forecast and it was not good. Rain all day. For a while I considered just staying there another day but my slow progress and the prospect of spending a whole day in my Tent motivated me to put on my wet-weather gear (which I stupidly neglected to do yesterday (why carry it if you are not going to use it when it rains???) and hit the road to Namsos. I had seen that there was a fast Ferry to Leka.
This is cheating technically speaking but by now I have accepted the fact that I am not going to make Tromso by the 29th with just my Bike. Even without the constant rain. It was a pleasant journey and not too expensive. 293 NOK for a lot of km and a chance to see one of Norway's most beautiful Islands. There was only one downside. The weather got worse and standing on deck was impossible because of the wind.

A few hours later we arrived in Leka and I soon started regretting my decision. The wind and rain had picked up considerably and the port was not in town. After several km's I arrived at the Leka Motel and Camping place drenched, despite my wet weather gear, and freezing. They also have Stone Cabins
 
and I really didn't feel like trying to put the Tent up in the wind and rain. Funny thing is that as soon as I paid for the Cabin it stopped raining and the Sun came out! Ever get the feeling some supernatural force is playing games with you? Well anyway, a night in Comfort is not a mistake and the price of 400 NOK is definitely not unreasonable. There is also a well-stocked kitchen so I rode to the nearest supermarket to make myself my first hot meal for several days. So I put on the heater, had a cup of hot fish soup and fried some pork chops while enjoying the magnificent view from my window

Tomorrow and the weekend are supposed to be sunny so I think I will revise my strategy and concentrate more on the scenery. I will take more Ferries and try to see as much as possible of this beautiful country instead of doing as many kilometers as possible as quickly as possible. Hasta manjana amigos.

No comments:

Post a Comment