Monday 10 July 2017

Commonwealth Chess Championship round 9

Edited post because the game replayer ...... up and I haven't found a good replacement yet. I've added some pictures and pasted the pgn.

Since this is my last day at this hotel I thought I should check out the swimming pool. Very relaxing I must say. Perhaps I should have gone for a swim before the game 🤕






This is the Skywalk on the 10th floor which connects the two wings ofor the Leela.


It is so nice that many people ask to have photo's taken with me. Kinda makes me feel like a celebrity. These two gentlemen are very fine arbiters.



If there was a prize for the most idiotic move of the tournament it would have to be awarded to my 9....Qe7. I actually just wanted to resign after 10.Nb3 but that would have been unseemly on top board. And it's not like I haven't fallen for that before. It's always nice to wait for white to give a tempo with a3 before parting with the bishop so 9.....Re8 is quite a reasonable move. So is 9....Ba5 to bring it back to c7. 9....a5 is perfectly playable. Just not 9...Qe7??

Anyway,  all in all it was a fun tournament and the people here have all been friendly and supportive. What amazed me was how many Indians wished me luck before the game and during the whole tournament. There was absolutely no home town bias at all.  Also the playing conditions were superb, the hotel was exceptional and the food as you would expect in India, sumptuous 😋

Lastly, I have to apologise, not for the result, which against a 2600+ GM is no surprise, but for not being able to offer at least some entertainment for everyone who watched the game live and extended their good wishes. I'll try to do better next time. Luckily my current Indian visa is dual entry so.....


[Event "Commonwealth Open"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2017.07.10"]
[Round "9"]
[White "Gupta, Abhijeet"]
[Black "Wohl, Aleksandar H."]
[Result "1-0"]
[WhiteElo "2625"]
[BlackElo "2355"]
[ECO "E00"]
[WhiteFed "IND"]
[BlackFed "AUS"]
[FCGameId "21489452"]
[TimeControl "5400+30"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. g3 Bb4+ 4. Nd2 O-O 5. Bg2 d5 6. Nf3 Nbd7 7. O-O c6 8. Qc2
b5 9. c5 Qe7 {??. most other moves are better, eg Re8, a5, Ba5} 10. Nb3 Qd8 11.
Bf4 Ne4 12. Ne5 Nxe5 13. dxe5 a5 14. Rfd1 a4 15. Nd4 Qc7 16. a3 Ba5 17. Bxe4
dxe4 18. Qxe4 Bb7 19. Nf3 Qe7 20. Ng5 g6 21. Qe3 Rfd8 22. Ne4 Rxd1+ 23. Rxd1 Rd8
24. Rd6 1-0

You can also "follow chess" on any browser now by going to 
https://mobile.twitter.com/FollowChessApp

I now have some time to find a working Game replayer. 

3 comments:

  1. I think there's an error in the pgn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sorry. Must find new game replayer. Will fix when time permitts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Updated but no new working player found.

    ReplyDelete