Wednesday 1 February 2012

R.I.P Phillip John Esmonde 26 August 1929 - 25 January 2012

I first met Phil in 1993. His son David was then president of the Gold Coast Chess Club and was mainly responsible for my move from Adelaide to the Gold Coast. They were then living in Paradise  Point and I visited frequently in those days. 

Phil with his sisters Kathleen and Lorraine

I clearly remember Phil inviting me in whether David was home or not, offered me a beer and we would chat even if the football was on. Only as I got to know him better did I realize what a sacrifice that was. He loved his footy and even umpired three Premierships.

As a faithful supporter of the Brisbane Lions he was allowed to drink out of the 2001 AFL Premiership cup 
He got several prizes for fairest and best Umpire. 

He passed away peacefully last Wednesday evening at the age of 82. Today his family and friends met to say goodbye. Below is a short Video that was played at the Funeral. The photos start after the first song so please be patient. You will be rewarded by an impression of the life of a real Australian from another era.


I feel privileged to have known you Phil and thankful for the things you taught me by example. One of those things is that you can say a lot with few words. I'll have to put that into practice one day :) Where ever you are now there is one thing I am sure of. Whoever is there is glad of your company.

2 comments:

  1. This is a nice tribute, Alex. Phil sounds like a wonderful person. My condolences to you and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the tribute Alex.
    Grumpy and Mrs Grumpy Western Australia

    ReplyDelete