Saturday 12 April 2014

Bangkok Open 2014

Another day another country. I am now in Bangkok playing in the famous Bangkok Open. For years many Australians have been coming here and as I see now, not without good reason. This is the view from my room, on the 16th floor of the Dusit Thani Hotel which overlooks Lumpini Park


As I sit here writing this post I can hear someone speaking into a microphone below, undoubtedly denouncing the government. The taxi driver who took me to the hotel yesterday told me this has been going for many months now, clogging traffic. We had plenty of time to chat being stuck as we were. The two biggest political groups wear red shirts and yellow shirts and both protest when the other is in power and both clog traffic. This was not a comprehensive explanation of the political situation here but his english was limited and he didn't really care except for the traffic. There is also the occasional military coup which he was in two minds about because although it cleared the traffic it reduced tourism. His synopsis was that all politicians suck which is a view I share. We then continued with a language lesson on essential Thai.

Here is a picture of the other side of the balcony. Notice the nicely painted trains.


The venue is superb.  We are playing in a grand ballroom with huge chandeliers and magnificent decorations everywhere. Pictures will tell the story better.

The rooms...well look.


The living room


bathroom with large bath :-)


Bedroom. It is like a luxury apartment except every day your room is immaculately cleaned. Did I mention free, fast wi-fi :-) 

Round 1
I played a fellow Australian today, from Tasmania, who I had never met before. He played solidly for a long time but when I started to develop a queenside attack he panicked and ruined his own position with 17...b5 and then followed up with the even worse 18...Bd5. There was no way to recover, at least none I noticed. Actually I was a  bit worried about 13...Qf5 instead of Qc7. Not sure what is going on then.



Anyway, tomorrow is the only double round day so I will attempt to do some preparation and then get a good nights sleep. 9am round :-(...groan.

1 comment: