Wednesday 16 April 2014

Bangkok Open Round 6

Francisco Vallejo has opened up a half point lead on the field going into the last three rounds and faces his biggest challenge tomorrow, defending with black against second seed Jan Gustafsson. You can follow this and other games live on the official site www.bangkokchess.com.

Also, in case you didn't know it, the FIDE elections are coming up in August. Former world champion Garry Kasparov is challenging Alien invitee Kirsan Ilumzhinov  for the presidency of the World Chess Federation (aka FIDE)

Since this tournament is a major event here in Asia there is a lot of campaigning going on behind the scenes. Peter Long has written an amusing and informative post on his blog about Ignatius Leong's newly created blog, FIDE X-files. Make up your own mind and if you have the time do tell me what you think :-) 

Round 6

Todays game should have been a draw but my talented young opponent, Bahkti Kulkarni, chose not to swap queens on move 14 thinking that the ending was a problem for her. I don't see it but after 14.Qc2 black does have some chances. A lucky break for me.



As my reward I get to play GM Monika Socko tomorrow. This lady is rated 2450 and is seriously strong. Wish me luck, I'll need it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment